About Me

My photo
Portland, Oregon, United States
Co-founder, co-editor of Gobshite Quarterly and Reprobate/GobQ Books

Monday, April 30, 2012

How to Measure Inflation

Around 2006, on payday, I'd write the cheques & pay the bills. I'd feel accomplished and relaxed for about a week. Then I'd feel in need of another payday, get more and more anxious as the bank-account approached zero. Don't spend any more, I'd say to the other half of the household. Just. Don't.

We still eat cheaply, go nowhere, drive our old clunkers to the same job and the same supermarkets.

But now, on payday, when I write the cheques & pay the bills, I relax for - well, I can't. I look at the bankbook and the distance from now till the next red dot on the calendar, and just go into constant, quiet, low-level alarm.


No comments:

Post a Comment